New Jersey is a beautiful northeastern state that boasts natural wonders, historic landmarks, diverse people, and unique foods. This garden state is a great place to move in, as it is considered the most coveted state of the nation.
New Jersey attracts millennials, families, tourists, and professionals because of its rich culture, ethnicity, and diversity. This state is not too far from New York City and Philadelphia, hence proving the right place to move into.
The place also has a high quality of living life, fresh organic produce directly from the farmer’s market, and there are some of the best high schools in New Jersey. Are you also planning about, moving to New Jersey?
Then, below mentioned are a few things that you should be aware of before actually moving into the state.
Is New Jersey a good place to live?
New Jersey is the 47th biggest state in the country, which measures 22,608 square kilometers. In spite of the small area, the state is the most densely populated state in the USA. There are four cities in New Jersey, where Newark is the state’s largest city with 2.81 Lakh people, as estimated in 2019.
The state is surrounded by New York City, Philadelphia, And the eastern Jersey Shore and is located comfortably between Delaware, the Atlantic Ocean, New York, and Pennsylvania. The per capita income of this tiny state is $37,288 which makes it the most preferable country to live in.
Generally, New Jersey is divided into South Jersey, North Jersey, And Central Jersey, each having its geography and culture. It has 565 municipalities that come under 7 metropolitan statistical areas made by the new jersey office of management and budget.
The average size of each municipality varies from 15-18 square miles, despite being such a small state. We can say that new jersey is like a small packet with a big bang. According to Wallet Hub’s annual list, New Jersey has been officially announced as the best place in America to live in.
It accounts fourth for the lowest crime rates and high quality of education and life. However, it had ranked lowest in terms of economy and affordability. Let’s explore the state to know more about it before moving to New Jersey.
Can you just move to New Jersey?
Yes, you can easily move to New Jersey but you must explore things to know before moving to New Jersey. Firstly, You do not need a visa to live, visit, work, or study in Jersey. You only need immigration permission rather than a visa to work or study in new jersey.
All citizens mandatorily need a visa who wish to live permanently in New Jersey. If you want to shift to New Jersey, You need to shift your out-of-state license by making an appointment with moving to New Jersey DMV, and vehicle title or registration will get changed within 60 days of your turn.
If you are not a citizen of the US, but you want to move to New Jersey, you can transfer your out-of-state license for a standard New Jersey license. You also need to keep the laws and regulations in your mind. New Jersey seems to be a less expensive state.
You can get a lot of everyday activities and fun. As it is surrounded by popular states, you can access major cities. It is definitely a fantastic place to live in.
Moving to the New Jersey- Best Guide
1. New Jersey Facts
New Jersey is also known to be ‘The Garden State of the nation, with Trenton as its capital. Below mentioned are some quick facts that you should be aware of about the state before actually moving in.
- Eastern Goldfinch is referred to as the state bird, horse as the state animal, and common violet is stated as the state flower.
- New Jersey experiences inclement weather where summers are scorching and winters are treacherous with wind chills that can go below 0 degrees.
- New Jersey has the highest-density population in the nation and there are 21 counties there.
What are five interesting facts about New Jersey?
Five interesting facts about the Garden State are:-
- Beemerville is a place in New Jersey, that is being labeled as the home to volcanoes. Although they are not active anymore in the current scenario the place becomes quite a popular destination for real estate development.
- Hoboken, in New Jersey, is the place where the first-ever baseball game was played.
- The state has the maximum no. of diners around the globe and is thus referred to as the Diner Capital of the world, with about 525 diners.
- Many restaurants in the state do not have a liquor license, so they allow their visitors to bring in their bottles of liquor.
- Atlantic City in New Jersey has the longest boardwalk in the world.
What are some weird facts about New Jersey?
Some of the weird facts about the state are:-
- The first-ever submarine ride was being taken into the Passaic River.
- The tallest water tower in the world is situated in the state.
- Hadrosaurus is the official dinosaur of the state.
2. New Jersey Moving cost
How much money do you need to move to New Jersey?
The cost of moving to New Jersey depends upon many factors such as labor time, travel time, number of movers, flat rate, and the residence that you will stay in. Let us know the estimate of the average expenses:
How much money does it cost to move from New York to New Jersey?
It is essential to look for those moving companies who are reliable and affordable. Here we provide outstanding service to customers at affordable prices. The average expense to move from New York to New Jersey is $2316.11.
However, the real cost depends upon some of the factors, such as the exact distance of the move and the number of items being shifted. However, the cost of moving from Florida to New Jersey varies from $2,000 to $4,100.
3. Living costs in Newy Jersey
How much money do you need to live comfortably in the New Jersey?
You need to spend on housing, childcare, food, transportation, and healthcare to leave comfortably in New Jersey for an average, an individual needs $13.72 for a living, and if an individual is staying with a child, he needs $28.56, and if two individuals are working and have two children, the workers need to make $18.23.
Is it cheaper to live in New Jersey or New York ?
New Jersey and New York are both large States. But when it comes to comparison, New Jersey is relatively cheaper than New York. Unlike New York, New Jersey does not impose taxes on all items. In Manhattan, a small apartment can cost you around $1,000,000. But, in New Jersey, you can get cheap housing.
Whether it is education, clothing, housing, fooding or other necessities, New Jersey is a very comfortable and great place to live in.
Why is it so expensive to live in New Jersey?
The cost of living in New Jersey is 120.4 from the USA average of 100, which means that the living cost is more expensive than the USA average of 100.
|Cost of living
4. Residency Programs in New Jersey
After moving to New Jersey, if you like the state and everything about it, then you can give a thought about living permanently in the state, by becoming its resident. Apart from this, by being a resident of the state, the individual can also get various tax reductions.
For becoming a resident of New Jersey, you should be domiciled in the state for the tax year and should be permanently living there or need to compulsorily spend 183 days in the state.
Not only this but The New Jersey Department of Treasury, takes various other factors into consideration to determine the person’s domicile in the state. These factors include:-
- The intent of the person
- Whether you have a driver’s license and a registered vehicle or not.
- Whether you have family ties in the state or not
- Location of bank accounts.
- And whether you have claimed homestead benefits or not.
How do you establish residency in New Jersey?
To establish residency in the state:-
- You need to have a permanent address in the state.
- You should possess a driver’s license and a valid New Jersey License.
- You should file a New Jersey Resident Income Tax Return.
How long does it take to be considered a resident of New Jersey?
If you are happy with the cost of living in New Jersey for a family of four, then you should establish your residency in the state. For this, you should have a permanent home in the state and should also be physically present for about 183 days in the state.
5. Business opportunity in New Jersey
Is New Jersey good for business?
New Jersey is absolutely good for the business as it is the most densely populated state in the country. It provides high educated workforce to the companies. It undoubtedly invests in students’ education to establish a base for innovations.
New Jersey is also called the world’s diner capital because it has the most diners in any region in the world. It is a central location to reach the market target. It also has a large seaport and non-stop airlines to connect across the globe. It is free for international investment.
How do I start a small business in New Jersey?
New Jersey is a metropolitan state which has the densest system of networks across the world. Business runs best in New Jersey. Though your business may face a period of growth, you may go through trouble finding investors and holding funds.
Such happens due to New Jersey’s capital gains tax, which is applied on all exchange of property, shares, and stock. You can start a small business by first deciding on a business structure. After that, pick a suitable name for the business. It is important to register the business.
Get your federal employer identification number. Then, open a Company bank and credit account. You can even set up an accounting system. Do not forget to get a license and permits. Hire employees once you are ready to work with your business.
Try to systemize and organize your small business to run smoothly. Once your business grows up, you can go for branding and marketing to get the word out.
What businesses are in New Jersey?
Significant industries in New Jersey include pharmaceuticals and life sciences, financial services, information technology, transportation, and logistics. Johnson and Johnson is the top corporation in New Jersey.
Some other large corporations include Conduent, Merk and Co, Bed Bath and Beyond, Toys R Us, and Automatic Data Processing.
6. Job market in New Jersey
What is a good salary in New Jersey?
A good salary in New Jersey is around $47,257 and is termed as 25th percentile. According to New Jersey living wage data, a wage of above $70,648 for annum is termed as 75th percentile. The top earners have an $85,923 salary per annum.
What jobs are in demand in New Jersey?
The state development of labor and workforce development found jobs in demand in New Jersey. Nurses, software and application developers, hand laborers and freight, stock, material movers, and food service workers are some jobs that are in demand in New Jersey.
Where can I work in New Jersey?
We have listed out top 20 companies in new jersey that offers good salaries, employee diversity, and health insurance coverage:
- Subaru of America- Pharmaceutical company
- Zoetis- World’s largest vaccination, medicine, and drugs producer
- Hovnanian enterprises- US real estate company
- Edmunds holding company- Online automative information
- Ferring pharmaceuticals- Multinational pharmaceutical company
- Educational testing service- World’s largest private educational testing and assessment institution
- Integra Lifesciences – Medical technology company
- Becton, Dickinson, and company- Medical technology company
- Munich Reinsurance America- Property reinsurance in the US states.
- Ansell- Protective medical and industrial gloves and condoms manufacturer
7. Laws & Regulations in New Jersy
Every place has certain rules and regulations, that you ought to follow to maintain the decorum of the place. Similarly, New Jersey has a list of various laws that you should be aware of before moving into the state.
Below mentioned are some of the laws that you have to follow after settling down in New Jersey, but for detailed knowledge You can visit; https://www.findlaw.com/state/new-jersey-law.html.
Some of the laws are:-
- New Jersey Criminal Laws
- New Jersey Family Laws
- New Jersey Accident & Injury Laws
- New Jersey Business Laws
- New Jersey Consumer Laws
- New Jersey Education Laws, and more
What is the weirdest law in New Jersey?
Some of the bizarre laws that you need to follow after moving to New Jersey:-
- It is illegal to sell handcuffs to minor children in New Jersey.
- It is illegal to wear a bulletproof vest or jacket while attempting to commit a violent crime.
- Laws of the state do not permit the sale of cars on Sunday.
- It is illegal for the residents living in Raritan cannot swear.
- It is illegal for the residents living in Caldwell to dance on the main street.
8. Transportation in New Jersey
New Jersey has an extremely good combination of trains, cars, buses, taxis, and other roads, rail, water, and air modes. The government transportation system in the state is operated by the New Jersey Transit.
The chief transit officer operates and manages the interstate transportation system, three light rail systems, statewide bus systems, and eleven commuter rail lines.
Apart from this, the Port Authority Trans Hudson (PATH) links the transportation hubs from northeastern New Jersey to Manhattan, while there is also a PATCO Speedline that connects Camden County in the state to downtown Philadelphia. The state also has a good intercity rail system, airports, and seaports.
Is there public transport in New Jersey?
Yes, of course, the state has a good public transport system and it also dominates the list of top cities with a good transportation system.
How do people get around in New Jersey?
For moving within the state, people can use intercity buses, trains, airplanes, ferry services, or privately-owned vehicles.
How much does New Jersey spend on public transportation?
The average money spent on transportation in a household amounts to $4,234 and may range upto $12, 984.
9. Driving License For New Jersey
The residents of the state who are willing to obtain a driver’s license, need to take an online appointment for the same. New Jersey grants you a driving license only if you are above 21 years of age. The procedure for obtaining the same is as follows:-
- Prepare for a knowledge test or a written exam, and get your necessary documents ready.
- Apply for an examination permit.
- Take up the exam.
- Practice deriving under supervision, for three months.
- Pass the road test and get a ‘Probationary License’.
- Practice unsupervised driving for a year and get a Basic Driver’s License or an unrestricted Drivers License.
- Now, the final step is to get a full driving license by upgrading the basic one by giving a nominal fee of $18.
How do I get a driver’s license in New Jersey?
After passing the written test & road test you can get a ‘Probationary Driving License’ which you can further update into a full driver’s license.
Can I get my New Jersey driver’s license online?
You can either renew or replace your old driving license online, but for applying for a new one, you need to visit any of the designated centers physically.
10. Tax rates in New Jersey
What is my New Jersey State income tax rate?
If you are a resident of New Jersey and you are earning an income, you must pay NJ income tax. It charges 1.75% on taxable income between $20,000 and $35,000 followed by 3.5% on taxable income between $40,001 and $75,000. Further, 6.37% is imposed on taxable income between $75,001 and $500000.
Are clothes taxed in New Jersey?
Some of the few states in the USA, such as New Jersey, do not collect taxes on clothing and footwear items. Bathing suits, belts, coats, and gloves are also free from taxes.
What taxes do you pay in New Jersey?
New Jersey State taxes range from 1.4% to 8.97%, directing over progressive income brackets. In, New Jersey you have to pay the following taxes:
- Personal income taxes– The tax system of jersey assembles the income taxes from the people according to six or seven brackets. Whether it is single or married taxpayers, they have to file separate returns based on 6 types of rates.
- Sales taxes-Rate of sales tax in New Jersey is 7%. Almost all retail sales are taxable.
- Property taxes-All real property is subjected to property tax in the state. A person’s property taxes are calculated by multiplying that general tax rate by an estimated amount of his specific property. The collectors of respective cities and towns gathered the real property taxes whereas personal property taxes are governed by the state.
- Estate taxes-New Jersey collects estate tax as well as inheritance tax. At present, the state law maintains the estate tax as it existed before 2002.
11. Economy in New Jersey
Is New Jersey a poor state?
Although New Jersey is considered one of the wealthiest states, millions of people live under the poverty line. According to the researchers from the Legal Service of New Jersey’s Poverty Research Institute, more than 2 million poor people Live in poverty.
Camden is the poorest city in the state which has a poverty rate of 35.5%. In general, an individual can survive with two children under $21,000.
What are some major industries in New Jersey?
Financial services, transportation and logistics, and life science are considered the three major industries in New Jersey. Other industries include
- clean energy industry
- film and media industry
- advanced manufacturing industry
- food and beverage industry
12. Educations in New Jersey
Does New Jersey have a good education?
New Jersey is an excellent state for education due to digital learning, training for teachers, proper lesson plans, and a tremendous high school graduation rate. It comes under the top ten best school systems in the country. The best 10 high schools in New Jersey are:
- High technology High School
- Bergen County Academies
- DR Ronald E Mc Nair High School
- Union County Magnet High School
- Biotechnology High School
- Marine Academy of Technology and Environmental Science
- Glen Ridge High School
- Ridgewood Public School
- Millburn High School
- Livingston High School
Where does New Jersey rank in education?
According to Wallet Hub’s reports, New Jersey is ranked 3rd among the USA’s best school systems. The study has been related to digital learning, school environment, teachers, and quality of education.
What is the education system in New Jersey?
New Jersey has pre-kindergarten to grade 12 in the education system, operated in districts by local elected school boards and superintendents. In 2013, there were about 2598 schools in 691 school districts. It also enrolled about 1,372,203 students. The state also witnessed 87.5% of the highest graduation rates in the country.
13. Health system in New Jersey
Does New Jersey have free HealthCare?
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is an organization that offers free help to Medicare beneficiaries. Besides that, there are two primary organizations to help the senior and disabled citizens on Medicare. Each program has its qualification and structure.
You can even get health insurance coverage through the state’s health coverage program (IHC) if you are not eligible for New Jersey family care (a publicly funded health insurance program that aims to provide free or low-cost health insurance to residents).
Does New Jersey have good HealthCare?
New Jersey is ranked in the fourth position in terms of the HealthCare system. The state is ranked based on quality, access, and overall health of the population.
How is the healthcare system in New Jersey?
New Jersey has 113 hospitals and 71 acute care hospitals. It comprises a dense network of world-class hospitals. The system strengthens the nation on many quality measures. There are five nationally ranked and 15 high-performing standard hospitals surveyed by US News and World Reports, 2019-2020.
14. Housing prices in New Jersey
Does New Jersey have affordable prices?
An affordable house means a house that has a low cost. People with a low or moderate-income can also afford a home in New Jersey. New Jersey can get you safe, accessible, and affordable housing.
How do you qualify for affordable housing in New Jersey?
Each member of the house must have a Social Security card, eligible non-citizen proof, and an eligible citizen of New Jersey to qualify for affordable housing. Household assets and associates are unlimited as they come under the household income.
Is there a housing shortage in New Jersey?
An individual needs to earn $24.54 per hour to pay rent and utilities. New Jersey is the 5th most expensive rental housing market in the USA. Approximately 61% of New Jerseyans find the cost of housing to be high. They find it difficult to get an affordable rent house.
15. Weather in New Jersey
What is the coldest month in New Jersey?
Over most of New Jersey, the month of January is generally the coldest. The high temperatures in this month are usually in the 30s and lower 40s, and the low temperatures fall to 20s and upper 30s (in Fahrenheit).
What is the climate in New Jersey right now?
New Jersey has a humid and fairly wet climate throughout the year. However, the autumn season is one of the driest periods. The month of October during this time experiences high temperatures of around the mid-sixties and low temperatures of mid-forties (in Fahrenheit).
The fall foliage is at maximum in this duration. Towards the end of October, one can feel the onset of snow.
Is it cold or hot in New Jersey?
The coastal parts of New Jersey have a moderate climate. It is not very hot or cold in most months. However, in the northwest regions of New Jersey, the elevation is high. These places have a cooler mild continental climate, and the winters here can be cold and wet.
Does New Jersey have bad weather?
Bad weather days in New Jersey are irregular but common. These include thunderstorms, tornadoes, and high winds. The state tolerates around 25 to 30 thunderstorms and about five tornadoes every year. Hailstorms are also included in thunderstorms, happening in colder parts.
The ridgetops in the northwest and some coastal locations experience very high winds.
16. Food in Jersey
Food invented in New Jersey
The two famous foods invented in New Jersey are saltwater taffy and pork rolls. In 1883, a batch of regular taffy was soaked in salty ocean water during a storm in the Atlantic City, thereby creating the saltwater taffy.
Now, this candy comes in various traditional and new flavors and combinations and has become a souvenir of Jersey Shore. Pork rolls are also claimed to be originated in New Jersey as John Taylor’s original pork roll, therefore also known as Taylor Ham. This dish is found in almost every diner in the state.
Best in New Jersey
New Jersey is the home to most diners of any state in the US. The cuisine was evolved by the immigrants in the past and is presently influenced by food from New York and Philadelphia. The ten most famous dishes in the state are:
- Saltwater Taffy
- Tomato Pie
- Italian Hot dog
- New Jersey Blueberry Muffins
- Pork roll
- Candied Apples
- Disco Fries
- Sloppy Joe
- Fat Sandwich
17. Best Places in New Jersey
Although there are a lot of interesting and attractive things to do in Wildwood, New Jersey. But mentioned below are some of the best places in New Jersey, that you can visit for a change in your means of entertainment.
- Borgata Casino in Atlantic City
- Island Beach State Park in Berkely Township
- Cape May Beach
- Atlantikc City Broadwalk
- Cape May Lighthouse
- Jersey Shore Alpacas
- Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson
- Gunnison Beach
18. Ranking By Categories
Extended to an area of about 8,719 sq meters and with a population of 8,882,190, the state of New Jersey has been ranked as the 19th best state of the nation by US News.com. Given below is a table stating the ranking of the state under different categories by the US News.
|Crime & Correction
Pros & Cons
The pros of living in New Jersey are as follows:
- Residents enjoy a great quality of lifestyle, excellent schools, and cherished nature that many people search outside the city.
- Provide convenience and access to nearby cities like New York City and Pennsylvania.
- New Jersey is home to cultural diversity.
- It has a lower cost of living as compared to New York city
- Explore many fun activities each day.
- No sales tax on clothes in the state of New Jersey
- Taste world-famous mouth-watering cuisines and signature dishes starting from Disco Fries to Taylor Ham.
The cons of living in New Jersey are as follows:
- The cost of living is high in the center of the city
- It imposes higher property taxes among all the US states.
- Moderate crime rates as the state are home to two dangerous cities in the US- Newark, and Camden
- Unpredictable climate as it experiences intolerable cold during winters and becomes hot and humid during summers
- It has some irrelevant laws
- Bad travel experience as it has the worst roads in the country.
Moving to NEW JERSEY FAQs
What are the benefits of moving to New Jersey?
The 10 most important benefits of moving to New Jersey are as follows:
- Easy access to many large cities in the state
- One of the Highest producers states to produce fresh fruits and vegetables
- Ample of job opportunities
- Home to winning sports team- devil’s hockey team, Giants and Jets football team, and Red bull’s soccer team
- Offers best locations to start a new business
- Airports, train routes, bus stands, and parkways are present at convenient locations
- The Garden State has plentiful ocean beaches and mountains at the same time
- Experience all the four seasons-
- It offers returned tax agreement with Personal Accident
- Excellent educational institutions and job facilities
Is it cheaper to live in New Jersey or New York?
New Jersey is generally cheaper to leave than you work because does not have City taxes. Despite having the highest property tax rate, the living cost in new jersey is quite less than in New York.
How long do you have to live in New Jersey?
A citizen of New Jersey is a person who is domiciled in New Jersey as a taxpayer on maintains a permanent house in New Jersey. He/she can stay more than 183 days in the country.
What is the best area to live in NJ?
Best areas to live in New Jersey (if you are thinking to relocate), based on the friendly atmosphere, spacious homes, excellent schools, and miles of coastlines are:
- Ocean city
We hope that you must have understood all the aspects of moving to New Jersey, through the above-listed information. This small state with hot summers and cool winters has some of the best places to live in. The state has various attractions that you can enjoy.
Also, hiking in central New Jersey is quite fun that is worth relishing during your stay in the state. What are you waiting for now? Go, settle down in New Jersey. The state has a lot to offer to you, as no doubt the state is small in size but has a lot of punch.